[linux-elitists] Our little side project... Just Linux Hardware (dot com)

Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 26 15:39:34 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 13:24, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> In one category, at least, there are two tools which may be very useful.
>
> Assessing whole systems (particularly laptops) is a crapshoot.  You
> pretty much have to find out who's installed GNU/Linux on the same (or
> often:  a similar) model.  And then hand-tweak to get the thing up and
> running.
>
> Fortunately there are two tools which take a lot of the uncertainty out
> of this picture.  One is bootable GNU/Linux systems with extensive
> hardware autodetection (e.g.:  Knoppix).  The other are tools to extract
> system capabilities and configuration, and dump this to a file.

Then, somebody could walk into Frys/CompUSA/BestBuy every few weeks and
pop this disk into each machine there, record the model # and success
factor.

This would way rock.

-tduffy

--
"[ SUV drivers are ] insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous
about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often