Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Wed Mar 26 11:21:31 PST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 04:31, Martin Pool wrote:
> Alan (I think) is saying that because JSPs run only on a server, you
> can connect to them from a purely free client.  Furthermore, there are
> vaguely open (Community Source, etc) implementations of all the
> components, most of them run on Linux, and some of the parts are
> genuinely free.

Yes, that was one point I was stressing, but I think it's important for us to
realize that there is *NO* panacea in regards to programming languages. All
of them have their own set of problems to some extent.

This is not a case of whether we should use Java for all of our solutions, or
C++ for them, or even Perl, Python, TCL, C, ASM, etc...all of these languages
are valid solutions to specific problems.

It is important for us to realize that a programmer does not a language make!

To get back to Don's question if C++ is worthy of a look nowdays with the new
ABI, I think the answer is most certainly yes, to me it was worthy of using
for solutions before the new ABI came to surface.

As we move forward we will see more solutions of free software on all fronts,
and that will include all of the mentioned languages.

For those that do like C++, I must say that I'm impressed with gtkmm and find
it to be a fairly small, fast, and tight library.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.