Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 11:18:18 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:06, Don Marti wrote:

> > > 8. Not enough beautiful free C++ code to set a good example, while
> > > there's lots of beautiful C.
> >
> > There's plenty of beautiful C++. The problem is that all of it starts
> > off by throwing away huge chunks of the language which impede or at
> > least de-incentivize good programming practices.
>
> But do all these examples throw away the same chunks?

There are a few chunks that are almost always thrown away.
Operator overloading is one & heavy use of multiple inheritance is
another. After that it gets kind of personal.

Exception handling and iostreams frequently get picked on.

I'd say that the features that I use most are:
// comments, define a variable where I need it rather than at the
beginning of a codeblock, more explicit kinds of casting, simple classes
with very little inheritance. STL & other subsets of libstdc++.

-ben