[linux-elitists] Our little side project... Just Linux Hardware (dot com)

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Wed Mar 26 10:45:16 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:38:30PM +0000, Ruairi Newman wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 17:01, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Michael Bacarella <mbac@netgraft.com> writes:
> > >
> > > Here is the unborn unreleased please be gentle in criticism
> > > version we've come up with so far.
> > >     http://justlinuxhardware.com/
> > > What do you folks think?
> >
> > I think it would have been extremely useful before 1998, but these days
> > most hardware seems to work in with Linux.  The exception is video
> > adapters.  Most old ones work, but new ones are often only supported in
>
> Not only video adaptors.  Also in this day and age DSL adaptors and
> wireless kit are good candidates.

Um, glurk - I almost hate to mention it but we are constantly getting
hammered on the RedHat Install List about :
	"WinModems"

	<ducks>

Despite their obvious shortcomings the cheap little bas.. er, things keep
popping up in the low end Linux Universe (you know - where the mass market
hangs out - "consumers" I think they're called..) and the consumers have
a natural complaint about the winmodems not working under Linux when
"it works just fine on my Winxxx box".

We try to educate these folks that the only place to get a Linux driver for
their modem is from the modem's manufacturer, which is the same place the
Win driver for the modem came from.  For many this info is enough and they
spend some $ and get a supported modem.  For others this is the last straw.

I'm not even sure how the above web site would help with this except maybe
to have a negative list. e.g. "Don't buy these X'es. Their manufacturer doesn't
support them on Linux."  Perhaps being placed on such a list would create
some negative publicity pressure and motivate the mfgr to generate a Linux
driver, preferably Open Source licensed.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org