Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 26 10:01:29 PST 2003

Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):

> > To repeat:  The key pieces (VM and classlibs) are perennially very
> > incomplete and very behind the times, with no prospect of this
> > improving.  You have talked extensively _around_ this point, but have
> > not acknowledged or addressed it.
>
> It's interesting how fast any thread about C++ turns into a thread about
> Java... there's a lot to be said for the poor implementation of the OO
> boilerplate onto C that is C++, just on that basis.
>
> When you talk about the JRE and dependence on it, you need to think in
> terms of the baggage that you have to carry around for other languages.
> Java's not too bad in that light.

That is true.  However, I was talking specifically about the ongoing
problems with key pieces of free-software implementations.  If, on the
other hand, you're content with using the proprietary alternatives, then
that problem goes away, and you're left to face only the others, such as
OS dependencies.  (I was not trying to describe characteristics inherent
in the language.)

--
Cheers,                                Bad Unabomber!
Rick Moen                              Blowing people all to hell.