[linux-elitists] Our little side project... Just Linux Hardware (dot com)

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Wed Mar 26 09:26:55 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:01:57AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Here is the unborn unreleased please be gentle in criticism
> > version we've come up with so far.
> >
> >     http://justlinuxhardware.com/
> >
> > What do you folks think?
>
> I think it would have been extremely useful before 1998, but these days
> most hardware seems to work in with Linux.  The exception is video
> adapters.  Most old ones work, but new ones are often only supported in
> XFree86 CVS, and many of the popular ones require proprietary modules
> for 3-D acceleration (don't get me started on how insidious those
> modules are).
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think a website could help that situation...

I think it's completely relevant today, perhaps even more than before.
Consider...

  * Proprietary drivers are inferior, and people may want to
    know which vendors have full free software drivers.  It's
    often unclear when a vendor announces support, what that
    actually means.

  * With TCPA on the horizon, I think people would like to be
    able to make informed purchasing decisions.  I doubt this
    is something most reviewers will consider unless TCPA starts
    becoming a household word.

  * Consider printers, scanners, digital cameras, PDAs, etc.
    All of these things work with a PC in some way, and all
    of them, for me, required doing homework to determine if
    Linux could work with them (well, except for PDAs, which
    I had a recommendation for).  This put my purchases off for
    weeks.

   * Laptops.  'Nuff said.

-M