Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Mar 26 09:06:35 PST 2003

begin Aaron Sherman quotation of Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:30:27AM -0500:

> > 2. C++ is a Very Large Language
> >   K&R, The C Programming Language, 2nd ed. -- 274pp.
> >   Stroustrup, The C++ Programming Language, 3rd Special Ed. -- 1040pp.
> > "It seems to me quite plausible that the complexity of the language adds
> > to the time and cost of a full education in C++." -- Raph Levien
>
> This is a context-free comparison, and thus not terribly valuable. C
> provides only the most basic programming tools (in fact, unless you're
> using something like glib or an equivalent library, I'm not sure that I
> really count C as a modern language which you can use to compare to C++
> at all).

Add a glib tutorial, and the C material would still be 1/3 to 1/2
the size of the C++ material.

It would be interesting, though, to see glib-based solutions to the
programming assignments in "Learning Standard C++ as a New Language".

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/new_learning.pdf

> > 8. Not enough beautiful free C++ code to set a good example, while
> > there's lots of beautiful C.
>
> There's plenty of beautiful C++. The problem is that all of it starts
> off by throwing away huge chunks of the language which impede or at
> least de-incentivize good programming practices.

But do all these examples throw away the same chunks?

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the