Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Mar 26 08:13:46 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 06:06, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland@SoftOrchestra.com):
>
> > I was browsing through Debian stable, and there are more Java tools available
> > than there has ever been on Linux.
>
> To repeat:  The key pieces (VM and classlibs) are perennially very
> incomplete and very behind the times, with no prospect of this
> improving.  You have talked extensively _around_ this point, but have
> not acknowledged or addressed it.

It's interesting how fast any thread about C++ turns into a thread about
Java... there's a lot to be said for the poor implementation of the OO
boilerplate onto C that is C++, just on that basis.

When you talk about the JRE and dependence on it, you need to think in
terms of the baggage that you have to carry around for other languages.
Java's not too bad in that light.

Java's major failing is the many faces of its platform-hostility. This
hostility manifests in its interaction with floating point numbers,
GUIs, inter-application conventions and a host of other areas. It's
simply not a good neighbor because it was designed to run on a "Java
Machine".

Beyond that, you probably want to think long and hard about what Sun's
going to do in the next 5-10 years when you look at Java, just as you
would think about what Microsoft is going to do when/if you look at C#
(which is also a nice language, but has its own problems).