Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed Mar 26 04:31:21 PST 2003

Let me attempt to translate:

Rick (I think) is saying that it is not really possible to build a
Java solution, either client or server side, using only Free Software.
In particular the FSF-Free Java class libraries do not seem to be very
complete.

Alan (I think) is saying that because JSPs run only on a server, you
can connect to them from a purely free client.  Furthermore, there are
vaguely open (Community Source, etc) implementations of all the
components, most of them run on Linux, and some of the parts are
genuinely free.

So you're both right, but you're kind of talking at cross purposes.

I think people who care about free software for its own sake, or who
don't want to be beholden to a non-free standard are a bit wary of
Java.  But it works very well in some spaces, and it's free enough to
suit the open-source/business crowd, and so there's a significant
subculture of people writing free software for it.

--
Martin