Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 26 03:06:07 PST 2003

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland@SoftOrchestra.com):

> I was browsing through Debian stable, and there are more Java tools available
> than there has ever been on Linux.

To repeat:  The key pieces (VM and classlibs) are perennially very
incomplete and very behind the times, with no prospect of this
improving.  You have talked extensively _around_ this point, but have
not acknowledged or addressed it.

> An app server works as a fancy macro processor.

Ah.  Thanks for clearing that up.  So, no JRE, ergo not the conventional
Java model at all.

>  Do you not consider PHP a programming language in the same regard?

Wrong question.  PHP does not aspire to be primarily a general-purpose
programming language using a virtual machine to achieve universal
portability (despite its command interpreter).

> kissme wraps the gcc java libraries and is 100% free AFAIK.

To repeat:  libgcj is Kaffe, and prone to the aforementioned ongoing
suckitude, for previously described reasons.

I'm not familiar with libservlet, but you seem to suggest that this is
just a macro-to-HTML preprocessor.

> I don't see this as cheating....

Oh well.  I'm not going to argue.  I think list readers generally will
get the point.

> I'm not sure of the limitations of the gcc JVM in regards to complete Java
> support....

Yes, that is apparent, and has lead to my having to repeat myself a few
times.  Which I hope to avoid doing again.

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.