Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 26 02:07:22 PST 2003

Quoting Alan DuBoff (aland@SoftOrchestra.com):

> When a JSP is submitted, the java is processed and HTML is spit back to the
> browser. Same with servlets.

Yes, if you're talking about .jsp pages, sure!  *shudder*  I somehow
thought you were talking about a more-substantive use of Java.  Weren't
we talking about programming languages?

I'm a little unclear on how servlet engines for .jsp processing works:
Do things like Tomcat crunch the Java down to bytecode (i.e., did they
implement their own JRE), or is it just a fancy macro processor that
spits out HTML?  I seriously doubt that they created an open-source JRE,
since someone would have separated it out and released it as an
alternative to Kaffe and Japhar w/classlibs.

If you're talking about just a fancy macro preprocessor for HTML, that
would seem to be cheating, in the context of a discussion about C++ and
similar things.