Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Wed Mar 26 01:29:37 PST 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 01:22, Rick Moen wrote:
> That browser needs a JRE to do anything with it.

Absolutely not.

When a JSP is submitted, the java is processed and HTML is spit back to the
browser. Same with servlets.

Now, if you're talking about passing an applet back to the browser, yes, I
agree with you. This is exactly why applets were doomed to fail and why we
don't see them in wide use to this day. Then we get back into the JVM
incompatibilities.

> So, what you're saying is that Tomcat/Xerces-J/Xalan-J and an httpd can
> be used to serve up Java stuff to a non-free JVM and set of classlibs.
> Not to mention that, realistically, you'd need a proprietary JDK to
> write/debug it prior to deployment, in the first place.

No, what I'm saying is that Java can be used on the server to process data,
and the data can be displayed in HTML, which is completely free. This is
exactly what PHP does, the only difference is that you use Java to handle the
processing.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.