Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Wed Mar 26 00:56:11 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 23:40, Rick Moen wrote:
> Alan, listen to the man:  He's right.  There's kind of a skeleton for a
> runtime environment, with free software VMs such as kaffe and its
> associated set of class libraries, but they're perennially incomplete
> and only aspire to implement subsets of the whole JDK hairball -- in
> kaffe's case, a subset of the PersonalJava 1.3 spec.  Not even close to
> a full implementation, not even close to current -- with no sign of this
> changing.

Well, let me ask you something Rick. If someone was to use
Tomcat/Xerces-J/Xalan-J to create web based JSP apps, you would only need a
browser to benifit from them.

Tomcat is not classified as non-free in Debian, and you could use the kissme
library, or the jserv package, both of which are free AFAIK. libservlet is
not classified as non-free I don't believe.

As a client, you only need a browser.

Now, as a consultant when I'm faced with the choice of reccomending this or
.net, it's a no brainer. PHP is a decent solution, but many enterprises don't
want to consider it. Same with mod_perl, even though they will often use perl
CGIs.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.