Tue Mar 25 23:18:51 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:40:26PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> (Eh, Java again?  Isn't it dead yet?)
>
> Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net):
>
> > The runtimes aren't there.  It's like having C++ but not MFC -- your
> > claims of portability are lost.  Thus, Java remains a one-off language
> > with no framework for free software apps to share.
>
> Alan, listen to the man:  He's right.  There's kind of a skeleton for a
> runtime environment, with free software VMs such as kaffe and its
> associated set of class libraries, but they're perennially incomplete
> and only aspire to implement subsets of the whole JDK hairball -- in
> kaffe's case, a subset of the PersonalJava 1.3 spec.  Not even close to
> a full implementation, not even close to current -- with no sign of this
> changing.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcj/Limitations.html says

Standard features not yet supported

This list of compatibility issues is by no means complete.

    * gcj implements the JDK 1.2 language. It supports inner classes
      and the new 1.4 assert keyword. It does not yet support the Java
      2 strictfp keyword (it recognizes the keyword but ignores it).
    * libgcj is largely compatible with the JDK 1.2
      libraries. However, libgcj is missing many packages, most
      notably java.awt. There are also individual missing classes and
      methods. We currently do not have a list showing differences
      between libgcj and the Java 2 platform.

--
 - Jason                 Currently at: Home, Downstairs (Fremont, CA) (Cloudy)

On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague:

"This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong."
		-- Wolfgang Pauli