Tue Mar 25 23:07:36 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:24:11PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2003, Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 March 2003 15:14, Martin Pool wrote:
> The native C APIs were very low-level and hard to use correctly.  It
> was vaguely comparable in Unix terms to doing X without a client
> toolkit.

Based on my recent experience [1] writing an abstraction layer on top
of both Xlib and Win32 GDI (a simplification - there's a lot more to
Win32 than GDI and a lot more to X than Xlib), I can safely say that
both APIs are way more complex for the common case than they need to
be.  Also, both APIs have overlay type stuff (which I require for 3-D)
implemented as total hacks [2].  The other guy working on the project
with me characterized the situation as "both APIs are fucked.  But
they're fucked in the same ways, so at least you can create a
consistent abstraction layer" :)

[1] http://lightconsulting.com/~thalakan/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/scout/hyperdoodle/

[2] like Win32's PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR and xlib's undocumented DGA
fun... [3]

[3] And don't even get me started using it for *INPUT*!

--
 - Jason                 Currently at: Home, Downstairs (Fremont, CA) (Cloudy)

Honk if you love peace and quiet.