Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue Mar 25 20:47:07 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 15:14, Martin Pool wrote:
> More to the point: why does *anyone* use C++?

If you ask such a basic question, probably no use in answering it, your
implication is that you see no use in it.

> I think the absolutely dominant reason is that the first really usable
> development kit for Windows (circa 3.0) used C++:

Bzzzt...wrong answer. Win 3.1 (arguably the first usale version of win) came
to surface around '88-'89 timeframe. There was only C APIs available to code
to at that time. MFC which was ms's attempt at OOP came later.

AFAIK, msc 6.0 never supported C++.

Keep in mind that this was the era when C++ compilers first became available,
and on PCs, people used the Glockenspeil pre-processor at this time because
Zortech, the first C++ compiler available on ms-dos, wasn't out yet. IBM had
a compiler on AIX that was a C++ compiler, and when ms and IBM went through
their divorce, IBM ported it over to OS/2 to provide tools (CSet/2) for their
system.

If my history is bad here, please correct me, but ms was late to the game
with C++ and if it wasn't for the fact that they shoved their lousy class
library down everyone's throat, most decent C++ programmers would have
preferred to write their own classes that didn't have lame abstractions like
ms created. Ironic that Real Networks emulates ms COM objects in their code,
which is not surprising as most of their developers came from ms. Also no
surprise at the low quality of code they produced.;-)

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.