Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue Mar 25 20:08:38 PST 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 12:12, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Alan DuBoff  quotation:
> > Yes, but Xerces also has a Java implementation also.
> 	That may be another reason for C++'s surge -- Javur
> programmers jumping ship.

Hmmm...I don't see Java programmers jumping ship, in fact, I see Java being
pretty strong and healthy these days. It seems to be used in small devices
like cell phones, to backends on servers (i.e., JSP, servlets, etc...).
Motorola announced a cell phone that will use embedded linux and java
recentely even.

If anything, many C++ programmers had jumped ship to go work on Java, at
least that was the case at Taligent, around '96-'97, where more people
adopted Java in the early days than most others. Java was the promised land,
it was to offer all of what C++ supposedly didn't do well, and make
everyone's life easier. It didn't do that.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.