Rich Bodo rsb@ostel.com
Tue Mar 25 14:35:16 PST 2003

The dearth of C++ examples is a misconception.  There are plenty of
good C++ libraries and other projects out there to look at.  Google,
sourceforge or freshmeat turn up more than I could ever evaluate.  One
good project like KDE spawns a thousand subprojects.  Also, sometimes
you just have to use C++.  Lots of library writers and hardware
vendors use it, and if you want to inherit from their classes, you
will want to use C++, too.  However, you don't have to use templates
or multiple inheritance, and shouldn't.  Sane people generally don't.
When I program in C++ anymore, I usually use single inheritance, and
the keywords new and delete, and that's it for C++.  Everything else
is C.  Compile times vary widely.  All of the slow (compiling), huge
(binary) projects I have seen are template oriented.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678