[linux-elitists] Re: My first look at BitKeeper. (fwd)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat Mar 15 14:50:36 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 03:32:42AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> The pity of it is that observers tend to notice the heat but see little
> light on this subject.  Getting the facts of the matter right requires
> chasing down a lot of twisty little details.  A long parade of people
> have studied enough of the picture to carry them through a public rant,
> but getting some details wrong (or omitting them) in the process.  Which
> is what enables people like Greg K-H here to dismiss their concerns with
> corrections like "Well, actually, anyone barred from using the gratis
> version by the no-compete clause can just buy the commercial version"
> (paraphrased).

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound glib in my response.  It's just that
I've gotten quite tired over the _years_ in people going over the whole
bk issue.  The constant flame wars on lkml about bk are getting to me, I
must be getting cranky in my old age :)

In short I just like to say, "Use it if you want to, no one is forcing
you to.  If you want to use it, read the license."

> Anyhow, that's (a minor) part of the reason I maintain
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/scm.html .  Corrections welcomed,
> of course.

Thanks for keeping this summary.  It's a very good resource.

greg k-h