[linux-elitists] My first look at BitKeeper. (fwd)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 14 09:42:31 PST 2003

Quoting Jonathan Corbet (corbet-elite@lwn.net):

> That writeup, of course, is almost four years old and rather out of date
> anymore.  It's been a long time since BK source was available.

I still maintain a summary of salient features including licensing
history of various SCMs including BK, here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/scm.html

My theory is that the flamewars owe in part to _information friction_:
People suddenly discover unattractive aspects of the product that either
are new (e.g., the no-compete clause) or were little known (e.g., steep
pricing levels for the commercial version, forced upgrading to new
versions with more-restrictive licence terms in the gratis version) and
are indignant about being taken unawares.  So, I try to fix that.

If people are able to know clearly up front what they're considering
buying into, then they can take or leave the offering with their eyes
open, and have much less cause to rant about it later on.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"