[linux-elitists] Re: My first look at BitKeeper. (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Mar 14 07:31:23 PST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:19:13 -0800
From: Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra@ics.uci.edu>
To: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: My first look at BitKeeper.

--On Thursday, March 13, 2003 4:20 PM -0800 Adam Rifkin <Adam@KnowNow.com>
wrote:

> [Adam found these bits... RK]
>
> BitKeeper itself seems like a really nice versioning system for distributed
> development of big projects...

Well, just remember that if you work on a 'competing' SCM (as defined by
BitMover) that you are barred from ever using the 'free' copy of BK.  You must
pay ~$5k to use it to access otherwise 'free' projects.

I've been barred due to my Subversion activities (same boat as Ben Collins,
former Debian Project Leader).  The rest of the academic SCM community is
barred from using BitKeeper as well.  (I wonder how many of them realize that
though.)

Out of pure principle, I'd refuse to work with a tool backed by a company that
has such draconian policies.

Try Subversion instead - http://subversion.tigris.org/.  =)  It's free with no
strings attached.  -- justin