[linux-elitists] Streaming Video solution for Linux

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Mar 13 15:04:53 PST 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 14:51, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> I thought the issue with quicktime was IP issues with Sorensen, not
> Microsoft.  Though I wouldn't be surprised if both are involved.

My understanding is that ms signed a contract with Sorensen that only allows
them to port the code to ms-dos or mac platforms. I was told that by one of
the original authors of QuickTime, who did the sound for it.

> Is hte quicktime server really open source anyway?  I thought it was
> quasi-open under the strange APSL or whatever.

Apple's streaming media server does seems to be under the APSL.

I think QuickTime is one of the best media players on the Mac, it supports
most all formats and works better than most any other client, licensing aside.

It probably wouldn't be hard to get icecast to stream video, I grant you
that...it's all just data after all.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.