[linux-elitists] Streaming Video solution for Linux

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Mar 13 14:39:32 PST 2003

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 13:51, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > Another to add to that list could be the stuff at http://www.theora.org/,
> > need to check into that tomorrow also. It's a video codec which ogg is
> > involved. I'm not sure about server/client or what is actually available
yet,
> > I need to research that a bit more.
>
> It's safe to say that it's not ready for production use.  We've been
> updating the ogg infrastructure for it, and my guess is that we'll see
> something good this year from that effort.

Ok, I take your word for it as I haven't looked that close at it yet.

> On the icecast side, there has been little work if any on integrating
> video, but since it deals with Ogg and not vorbis specifically, it
> probably wouldn't be very hard.

It's not such a problem with the server as it is the client. Most of the
formats don't have decent clients on Linux. Quicktime for instance seems to
be prevented from being ported to Linux due to prior contractual agreements
with ms, and I've been told that they can only port to ms-dos or mac
platforms. Maybe that will change now that the courts have ruled that ms
needs to play fair, but so far we don't see any Quicktime for Linux.

> To my knowledge, Real is still the best thing you can do for video that
> is cross platform.  They support multiple arches of linux as well, ppc
> and x86 at the very least.  But they are expensive...

Yeah, that's what I suspected prior to this point...and I hate Real Networks
with a passion. They offer the Helix server/client now, but they've removed
most of the codecs that the RealPlayer has or only release them in binary
format. Most of the released formats are Real's protocols (i.e., G2), which
is also probably no surprise, and even less of a surprise is the fact that
they release them in binary only.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.