[linux-elitists] Streaming Video solution for Linux

Jack Moffitt jack@xiph.org
Wed Mar 12 13:51:39 PST 2003

> Another to add to that list could be the stuff at http://www.theora.org/, I
> need to check into that tomorrow also. It's a video codec which ogg is
> involved. I'm not sure about server/client or what is actually available yet,
> I need to research that a bit more.

It's safe to say that it's not ready for production use.  We've been
updating the ogg infrastructure for it, and my guess is that we'll see
something good this year from that effort.

On the icecast side, there has been little work if any on integrating
video, but since it deals with Ogg and not vorbis specifically, it
probably wouldn't be very hard.

To my knowledge, Real is still the best thing you can do for video that
is cross platform.  They support multiple arches of linux as well, ppc
and x86 at the very least.  But they are expensive...

jack.