[linux-elitists] Streaming Video solution for Linux

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sun Mar 9 22:41:03 PST 2003

I have a need for streaming video on Linux. I need the server to run on Linux
as well as having a client that is available on Linux.

While I've seen some Quicktime solutions on Linux, they seem to require some
hacking to get working.

I was considering the RealNetworks Helix server/client, which seems to be
limited in the codecs they provide, but this still might be a solution, I'm
not certain yet. In addition, I have somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth from
dealing with Real directly and felt they kinda put the screws to us after we
paid them more than $200k on a previous project I worked on, by including a
timebomb in the code they issued to us.

I don't know too much about the Apple Media server, maybe someone has input
on it.

I guess what I'm wondering is what is a good solutions for server/client to
stream video on Linux. I need something that is free software that people can
download and use freely. Does something exist that will fit this criteria?
Any of the above?

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.