[linux-elitists] Perens: SCO looking for Buy-out?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 9 17:16:12 PST 2003

on Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:16:52PM +0000, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:42:07PM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke (jknotzke@shampoo.ca) wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:06:21PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> > > "IBM doesn't have to settle with a company this small. They can just
> > > eat them."
> >
> >    I'm a little ignorant on this subject but does anyone think this is
> > what SCO is up to; that is hoping to get bought?
>
> My preferred end-game scenario:
>
>  - IBM effectively reduces the market value of SCO on Tuesday of next
>    week to $1 after certain irregularities in the patent licensing
>    arrangements of the SCO Group, Hatch, James & Dodge P.C., and Boise,
>    Schiller & Fletchner LLP emerge.
>
>  - Linux International offers, and has accepted, its $1 payement for
>    consideration of SCO's remaining assets, on Thursday of next week.
>
>  - LI subcontracts out EOL support and migration to GNU/Linux for
>    remaining SCO operations, the bulk of which are retained by the PWC
>    and IBM Global Consulting units, Thursday afternoon.
>
>  - The remnants of Caldera GNU/Linux are offered to, and accepted by,
>    the United Linux Consortium, again for a nominal fee, Friday morning.
>
>  - LI proceeds to releasing the remaining original Unix codebase under
>    one or more free software licenses, to include the GNU GPL,
>    commencing Friday.
>

> As a result, the current threat is thwarted, SCO is dissolved, GNU/Linux
> becomes the holder of the original Unix code, IBM dodges antitrust
> issues, remaining SCO customers are shown the light, and United
> Linux can proceed on its way to irrelevance happy for the moment.

Incidentally, another possible consequence arises from the fact that
Microsoft was barred, pursuant to an agreement with SCO, from ever
entering the Unix market.

Microsoft and SCO settled some old business a few years ago, and I'm
not sure what the current status of this agreement is.  Among other
things, some Xenix / MSFT code was dropped from SCO (it had been
included by mandate) ~1999/2000.

For discussion of this from 1997:

    http://www.open4success.org/usanet/index0792.html

Details on current status appreciated.

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/