[linux-elitists] Perens: SCO looking for Buy-out?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 8 15:16:52 PST 2003

on Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:42:07PM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke (jknotzke@shampoo.ca) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:06:21PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > "IBM doesn't have to settle with a company this small. They can just
> > eat them."
>
>    I'm a little ignorant on this subject but does anyone think this is
> what SCO is up to; that is hoping to get bought?

My preferred end-game scenario:

 - IBM effectively reduces the market value of SCO on Tuesday of next
   week to $1 after certain irregularities in the patent licensing
   arrangements of the SCO Group, Hatch, James & Dodge P.C., and Boise,
   Schiller & Fletchner LLP emerge.

 - Linux International offers, and has accepted, its $1 payement for
   consideration of SCO's remaining assets, on Thursday of next week.

 - LI subcontracts out EOL support and migration to GNU/Linux for
   remaining SCO operations, the bulk of which are retained by the PWC
   and IBM Global Consulting units, Thursday afternoon.

 - The remnants of Caldera GNU/Linux are offered to, and accepted by,
   the United Linux Consortium, again for a nominal fee, Friday morning.

 - LI proceeds to releasing the remaining original Unix codebase under
   one or more free software licenses, to include the GNU GPL,
   commencing Friday.

As a result, the current threat is thwarted, SCO is dissolved, GNU/Linux
becomes the holder of the original Unix code, IBM dodges antitrust
issues, remaining SCO customers are shown the light, and United
Linux can proceed on its way to irrelevance happy for the moment.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html