[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri Mar 7 07:29:38 PST 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 06:58, Adam Sampson wrote:
> I don't know about their other projects, but the JFS code came from
> OS/2, not AIX.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. I was an OS/2 Advisor for IBM, FWIW. AIX also
had/has journaling and I'm not clear on where JFS derived from. Remember that
IBM's C/C++ compilers all trace their roots back to AIX as well, and IBM was
one of the first compilers to support some of the modern C++ features when
they were becoming the ANSI spec, according to Stroustrup, in a conversation
I once had with him...ironically, at an OS/2 conference during the mid 90s.;-)

However, what SCO is attacking IBM on here are the kernel changes that
they've been helping out with to the Linux community, which is even more
ironic as SCO is in on the UnitedLinux consortium themselves. At least this
is my take. JFS won't come into play, although now that Ted Tso works for IBM
it's arguable if ext3 knowledge of any kind could be traced back to IBM's
UNIX knowledge, and probably something IBM would need to defend in court. As
I've said before, I would be very surprised to find out that people like Ted
could even know what was going on in the UNIX department even though he is
somehow related to the Linux Technology Center of such. It just doesn't
happen inside IBM.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.