[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri Mar 7 07:19:10 PST 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 06:00, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> SCO will no doubt claim to have invented files.

Yeah, but what's funny about this is that SCO runs on x86 compatible
computers. SCO may have forgotten who it was that developed the technology
that PCs are based around. Let's not forget the entire reason for IBM to move
towards the microchannel to begin with, it primarily so that people couldn't
copy their technology so easily, since they felt they had been raped by the
clone makers. Of course it wasn't successful in the end, as PCI prevailed as
the common BUS standard for x86 compatibles, and even IBM produces those
today. However, interesting to note that IBM's Thinkpad line is actually
based on PS/2 architecture and draws it's roots to some of the fundamental
designs inherint with them (i.e., some BIOS and other related stuff).

Larry Augustin mentioned that this is not a patents case, but I wouldn't
count on that, since as I pointed out, it was IBM that created the PC as we
know it today. IBM could turn it into a patents case easily, and there is no
question that IBM not only had the knowledge on how to write systems before
SCO could fart, but most likely retains many patents that existed when SCO
did learn to fart.

The interesting twist to this whole topic is how Linux fits into this. Under
normal circumstances there is no body held accountable for Linux, so SCO
chose to attack IBM who is accountable. This will only help Linux in the long
run hopefully, and it's good to have deep pockets like IBM on your side.
Here's a company that was able to spend $300M/year for the first 2.5 years,
and about $150M/year for the 2nd 2.5 years on Talignet's life, to gain a
nominal amount of patents out of it...and it was chump change for IBM.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.