[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 6 23:45:43 PST 2003

on Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:23:31PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 07:51:23PM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > Don't look now but they've chosen to pick on the big boys...
>
> 	Linux's rapid maturity--for example, growing up to work on large
> 	multiprocessor servers--is evidence of the presence of Unix
> 	intellectual property, the SCO suit said. "It is not possible for
> 	Linux to rapidly reach Unix performance standards for complete
> 	enterprise functionality without the misappropriation of Unix code,
> 	methods or concepts to achieve such performance, and coordination by a
> 	larger developer, such as IBM," the suit said.

> So, with SCO dying and all, I wonder who should pick up the Unix
> trademark. I hope someone buys it and makes an old-school server
> GNU/Linux distribution called Lunix.

The Unix trademark was transferred to The Open Group some time back
(early/mid 1990s).  The SCO Group (aka Caldera) doesn't hold it.

    http://www.UNIX-systems.org/questions_answers/faq.html
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/unixtm.html

Peace.

   Use a personal CSS stylesheet to promote Web usability:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/UserContent.css
       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/test-css.html