[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Mar 6 23:08:19 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 22:38, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> Again, not a patent claim, but a claim that SCO's source code was released
> violating the license agreement for that code.

I'm curious what source code was released that SCO is owner to? I understand
where you're coming from Larry, but IBM is typically very anal about
releasing any source code, and it gets run through the legal weenies.

IBM did release some code to the community, but I think it was their code,
such as the journaling file system code, stuff like that.

Certainly, maybe McBride knows better what they've done, but I'll believe it
when I see a violation.

IMO, they couldn't have picked a better company than IBM, since IBM has the
most patents and stands the most chance of putting them in the dirt, that of
course is if they haven't legally violated any contractual agreements with
SCO. Give the two, I rather think IBM has more credibility...not that it
matters in that regard, because a violation is a violation, plain and simple.

No matter what IBM's developers did for Linux, that has nothing to do with
AIX. In most cases 2 departments have no clue to what goes on in them within
IBM, at least it was like that for the few years I worked for them while at
Taligent and Santa Terresa Labs (now Silicon Valley Labs).

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.