[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Mar 6 21:15:28 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 21:02, Martin Pool wrote:
> On  6 Mar 2003, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > Either way this was an extreemly dumb move by SCO.
>
> Not really.  They have (literally) almost nothing to lose.

I'm not sure about that. I'm rather on Greg's line of thinking here. In fact,
they do have actually quite a bit to loose, IMO. IBM has been writing
operating systems since the 50s, and they're one of the largest patent
holding companies in existence. I think it's still questionable on what SCO
really has, and if Don's research turns correct, SCO doesn't have $#!T. IBM,
OTOH probably has patents for operatings system symantecs that would make
SCO's tiny head spin. We're talking about precedence over UNIX buy some 20-30
years...

It's good they picked IBM to go after, because IBM's legal weenies will go
over everything with a fine tooth comb, and it will help Linux in a big way.
IBM has the deep pockets to put the screws to SCO and hopefully it will set a
precendence in the industry for others to pound SCO into the dirt.

In a way it's just FUD on Linux while all of this goes on. I wonder if ms is
funding SCO for this crap...:-/(it's a joke;-)

> Look at Be, which for a while only existed as a lawsuit against
> Microsoft.

Yeah, and this will be the exact same thing that happens to SCO. SCO is
living on life support and these moves are only signs of desparity from the
looks of it.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.