[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Thu Mar 6 21:02:55 PST 2003

On  6 Mar 2003, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> Either way this was an extreemly dumb move by SCO.

Not really.  They have (literally) almost nothing to lose.  Wanting to
preserve credibility with developers, customers or other companies
only matters if you're planning to continue operating.  A countersuit
from IBM only matters if you want to keep selling software or if you
have assets to pay the judgement.

Look at Be, which for a while only existed as a lawsuit against
Microsoft.

"When Hell is full, the dead will walk the Earth."

Personally I thought enforcing the licence on SCO libraries when
they're used under iBCS2 was pretty reasonable, and they should have
done it a long time ago.  But this latest development is just really
sad.

  "Linux's rapid maturity--for example, growing up to work on large
  multiprocessor servers--is evidence of the presence of Unix
  intellectual property, the SCO suit said."

Heh.  Sounds more like evidence of Anton to me. :-)

--
Martin