[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Mar 6 14:45:51 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 13:17, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Don Marti quotation of Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:48:08PM -0800:
>
> > Excuse me for interrupting the conspiracy frenzy, but didn't the SCO
> > software patents go to Tarentella?
>
> Following up on my own post here.  I did a search on what happened
> to the two patents assigned to the old SCO, as well as the Unix
> patents that came from USL or AT&T.
>
> http://www.ssc.com/pipermail/atc/2003-March/000034.html
>
> Short answer: SCO has no patents.

I'd like to thank Don for taking the trouble of going to the Sunnyvale
library to find this out. Kind of interesting in that SCO has only used their
most recent claims so far as a scare tactic on their customers to charge for
the use of SCO compatibility. This could be one of the best bluffs this
industry has seen if what Don found out to be true is correct.

It certainly shows the ignorance on SCO's part, because don't you need the
patent in court in order to litigate? SCO had previously stated they were
having their lawyer look at who might be violating their copyrights. Without
the patent, the copyrights are not much. I hope their lawyer is charging them
by the hour...:-/

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.