[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Mar 6 13:17:24 PST 2003

begin Don Marti quotation of Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:48:08PM -0800:

> Excuse me for interrupting the conspiracy frenzy, but didn't the SCO
> software patents go to Tarentella?

Following up on my own post here.  I did a search on what happened
to the two patents assigned to the old SCO, as well as the Unix
patents that came from USL or AT&T.

http://www.ssc.com/pipermail/atc/2003-March/000034.html

Short answer: SCO has no patents.

It's a little confusing, because there are two companies calling
themseves "SCO" -- the "old SCO" was Santa Cruz Operation Inc. and
is now Tarentella.  The "new SCO" is The SCO Group, and used to
be Caldera.

> 6,362,836 Universal application server for providing applications
> on a variety of client devices in a client/server network
>
> 6,104,392 Method of displaying an application on a variety of client
> devices in a client/server network

 * December 2001: Santa Cruz Operation Inc. changes its name to
   Tarantella Inc. Both of Santa Cruz Operation Inc.'s patents,
   6,104,392 and 6,362,836, stay with Tarantella.

And also checked on Unix System Laboratories patents that went to
Novell -- but did not go to the old SCO.

 * November 1995: Unix System Laboratories Inc. assigns three patents
   to Novell: 5,652,854, 5,265,250 and 6,097,384.

Novell has assigned away only seven patents since 1980, when the
CASSIS2 records begin: two to Corel, one to Interlogis Inc. and
three to Volera Inc.

Novell never assigned a patent to _either_ SCO.

Caldera (which now calls itself SCO) has never had a patent assigned
to it.

> I asked Ransom Love about this when Caldera bought SCO, and he said
> he didn't think he had even acquired any patents.

They didn't.  Caldera, you will remember, didn't actually buy SCO,
just the OS and Professional Services divisions.  SCO kept the
patents and changed its name to Tarantella.  And Novell didn't let
any patents slip out when they got rid of Unix.

In case you're interested, the Sunnyvale public library has an
excellent facility for patent searches, including the stuff that
you can't get over the web.

http://www.sci3.com/facts.html

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the