[linux-elitists] Microsoft abuses where it only can.

Manfred Mertens mmertens@global-webservice.net
Wed Mar 5 08:21:52 PST 2003

Hello dear expert friends,

I'm not expert but read with interest your discussions and learn by it. I have
in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, a little firm that offers only Linux distributions
and Debian Linux. In this country the representant for Microsoft is
vinculated to the government and its distributors are also IBM distributors.
Because I buy hardware to resell and obviously not the imposed Windows and
MS-Office I got letters with menaces 'because they know I'm buying hardware
and not buying software and therefore I'm piracying their software'. The
letters come all on official Microsoft papers with logo but without
signature.

I answered telling them that I only sell Linux products and hardware with
Linux onboard and that I wait for signed accusations. I got further these
nice papers and then I invited a distributor, showed my machine and software
and the packages that I offer and asked him if IBM, that spents billions in
Linux, knows what they do in Bolivia ... and what if I, in turn, explain them
what here occurs. The letters ceased for a while.

Cordially
Manfred Mertens

> I too find it disturbing. That it was sent as spam is quite
> uncool -- especially when one can make the quite logical
> assumption that all spammed offers for software are examples of piracy
> themselves.

note that the BSA sent a lawyer letter:

http://www.mail-archive.com/fork@xent.com/msg07218.html

accusing sites of pirating Microsoft Office and making them available
for public ftp.  oops, turns out those warez sites were mirroring
openoffice.org.  :)

time to reuse this for marketing, "OpenOffice is so compatible with
Microsoft Word that even the BSA can't tell it apart from Microsoft
Word."  :)

--
Jeff Suttor    <Jeff.Suttor@EarthLink.net>