[linux-elitists] SCO: please fix your links

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jun 30 11:17:23 PDT 2003

I see that many of the Linux sites out there still have links to
the Caldera and/or SCO corporate sites in their lists of Linux
distributions.

When I run across such a site, I've been sending them a polite note.
Here's a copy.  If you see a list of Linux distributions that
includes caldera dot com or sco dot com, you might want to ask the
webmaster to change or remove the link.

Dear Linux webmaster,

Your Linux site contains links to caldera dot com and/or sco dot com.

These sites are no longer useful for Web users seeking Linux
information, since their owner is no longer in the Linux business.
Instead, these sites now contain misleading allegations about Linux
and free software.

As you probably know, search engines such as Google rank pages
according to the number and importance of incoming links.  Sites of
limited utility can have their ranking in search results falsely
inflated by incoming links from popular, credible sites such
as yours.

Please consider replacing links to the SCO and Caldera corporate
sites with links to http://sco.iwethey.org/, a page that explains
the current SCO legal situation and contains links to articles from
several leading publications that cover it in depth.

I am not affiliated with iwethey.org, but I consider the site the
best overall collection of information about the SCO problem.

Thank you for your consideration.

KG6INA