[linux-elitists] Help request -- terminology for Caldera FUD tactics

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Sun Jun 29 22:50:28 PDT 2003

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [030630 00:16]:
> I'm trying to find a good word/phrase to describe what Caldera/SCO and
> its press organs are doing currently regarding GNU/Linux and allegations
> of copyright infringement.
>
> First it was "favor currying publicity stunts"
>
>     http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SCOvsIBMResources#Favor_currying_Publicity_Stunts
>
> Now it's argument by repetition of "What if SCO is right?".  My favorite
> response (not sure if it was Slashdot, LinuxToday, LWN, or Newsforge)
> was "What if SCO is right about _what_?", given that the story has
> changed, and been vague, from day one.
>
> So:  something to capture this whole tarring the GNU/Linux community by
> SCO in a topic?

It smells a lot like "Raelianism" [0], but more actively belligerent.

Here are some possibilities related to that theme:

Raelian Litigation
Public Rael^H^H^Helations
a Raelian takeover bid for [open source entity]
cloneship diplomacy

The other parallel which comes to mind is that of Baghdad Bob aka
"Comical Ali".  "Baghdad Blake [Stowell]" and "Baghdad McBride" could be
amusing to sling around in the proper context.

[0] http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/analysis/toons/2003/01/07/mitchell/

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 324
                       |  the libraries, so
   random email haiku  |  the new executable