[linux-elitists] The breadth of SCO's claims

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 27 21:01:27 PDT 2003

on Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 06:50:26PM -0400, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 15:57, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I *strongly* discourage private responses to list mail, particularly for
> > general questions.  It borders on extremely rude.  Often on the far
> > side.
>
> Another topic for another thread, I suppose. I have different opinions,
> but they've evolved out of what are clearly a different set of
> experiences, and I don't have STRONG opinions either way.
>
> > > I was saying that you cannot recieve a copyrighted work under more
> > > than one license,
> >
> > Wrong.
> [...]
> > Before you launch off into this, I'm curious at what makes you think
> > that there cannot be multiple, possibly conflicting, claims to a single
> > property.
>
> I don't think I ever said that. A single property might be the result of
> combinging and arbitrary number of works, so clearly it can be governed
> by an arbitrary number of claims.
>
> What I said was that between you and I, there will be an agreement that
> governs my use of a piece of software. That is the license, and that's
> the only thing I care about.

We disagree, fundamentally, on this point.

I'll invoke Khendon's Rule and refrain from further comment, other than
to repeat my previous statement that you are grossly mistaken.

> > > here... THE BSD LICENSE DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SUB-LICENSING.
> >
> > You're ranting, Aaron.
>
> Hmm, you're reading an emotion into it that isn't there. I was just
> emphasizing the point because I thought it was useful.

No.

I'm observing that you're arguing (or attempting to argue) without the
benefit of either facts or logic.

Peace.

   Spread the real scoop on Xenu and The Church of Scientology, link