[linux-elitists] All GIFs already burned?

Michael Still mikal@stillhq.com
Sun Jun 22 14:45:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Mikael Pawlo wrote:

> Still I want to examine this further:
> http://burnallgifs.org/
> "The LZW patent expires today in the United States. However, patents
> on LZW are still in force in other countries."

I can't comment on Europe, but LZW was never patented in Australia (as far
as I can determine). I used to work at the Australian Patent office, and
we even had some of our examiners look into it.

Mikal

PS: For political reasons, we still licensed the patent -- don't start me.

--

Michael Still (mikal@stillhq.com) | Stage 1: Steal underpants
http://www.stillhq.com            | Stage 2: ????