[linux-elitists] All GIFs already burned?

Mikael Pawlo mikael@pawlo.com
Sun Jun 22 14:35:47 PDT 2003

Disclaimer: I hardly work with patent law, I am on vacation (starting
Monday), this is not legal advice, I very rarely cross-post and I do
not believe JFK was abducted by aliens.

Still I want to examine this further:
http://burnallgifs.org/
"The LZW patent expires today in the United States. However, patents
on LZW are still in force in other countries."

Is this really true? I was told today that Unisys used so-called
priority when it filed its application for the LZW patent in Europe.
If so, the European patents (if the applications were granted, I have
not researched this personally) would have obtained the same filing
date as the U.S. patent (because that is how priority works in patent
law). Thus, all GIFs "are burned".

Does anyone care to investigate this further?

Regards,

Mikael Pawlo