[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

billy@damaged-world.net billy@damaged-world.net
Sat Jun 21 14:44:32 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 02:27:43PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 02:08:38PM -0700, billy@damaged-world.net wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:00:03AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 17 June 2003 23:44, Nick Moffitt spew'd:
>>>meaning).
>>>"who gives a f#@$" is American slang and what's really cool about it is that
>>>you can enahance it to "who gives a flying f#@$" where flying is typically a
>>>verb, but in this case it acts as a noun to f#@$. American slang can be
>> 	I think "adjective" is how you spell that, but it's been a
>> 	couple decades since 8th grade english, so ICBW.
> It's an adverb (verb used as an adjective)

	As I remember 8th grade english, an adverb modifies a verb, it's
	not a verb used to modify a noun.

	It appears that the Harbrace COllege Handbook (which I think is
	my wifes, since I'd never bother with such things) seems to
	agree with me.

	In this case "flying" is an adjective modifying a verb that is
	being used as a noun. f#@$, in this case is pretending to be a
	noun.

> And FWIW, the American swearing vocabulary is actually very poor.
> See the French swearing sequence in Matrix II for a quick example.

	There was an argument from the IIRC 1970s that VMS was superior
	to Unix, in part because of the rich (i.e. vast) number of
	built in stuff, that the operator, the programmer didn't need to
	build that much new stuff, it was almost all there.

	The VMS manuals were measured (as legend has it) in linear feet.

	UNIX otoh, was at the time very, very minimialist, there just
	wasn't a lot there. Even the language used to program it (C) was
	incredibly lean compared to contemporary languages (contemporary
	then).

	To use your vernacular, Unix was very poor compared to VMS.

	Then again it could be that you just don't know all that much
	about swearing in english. I, however, will freely admit to not
	knowing a thing about swearing in any other langauge.

--
I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels,
God and Angels