[linux-elitists] Fwd: SCO/Linux MD5 comparison scripts (Inquirer)

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Thu Jun 19 11:33:47 PDT 2003

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [030619 09:33]:
> These are the scripts to do a comparison of arbitrary codebases, without
> disclosure, using MD5 hashes, and a blocked search with five-line stride
> and one line step (each five-line set from one codebase is compared with
> each five-line set from the other, less trivial, frequently occuring,
> sections).

On a different note, a friend and I ran an analysis on the old Unix code
mentioned in the "The Power Behind the SCO Nuisance" /. article. [0]

We did a fairly straightforward analysis of comments between Linux
2.4.20 and the source of the various ancient unixen (v5, v6, v7, sys3,
mini, 32v).  We also ran an abbreviated version of the same analysis
(abbreviated because we didn't bother to track down which specific files
contained overlapping comments) of FreeBSD 4.8's kernel and Linux
2.4.20.

The writeup, with code and data is online. [1]

[0] http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/1245254
[1] http://www.rickbradley.com/chron/20030619/

Enjoy,
Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 133
                       |  The source code will be
   random email haiku  |  freely available, but