[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Thu Jun 19 10:02:33 PDT 2003

begin  Don Marti Lives Three Hours from Nowhere  quotation:
> begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:23:44AM -0700:
> > 	What self-respecting elitist watches television?
>
> Or admits it.  An "I don't watch television" pose is part of of the
> classic US variety of elitism.
> http://www.theonion.com/onion3604/doesnt_own_television.html *
>
> I don't know about other countries.  Of course, an elitist may or
> may not actually watch television, but it's traditional to make a
> big deal out of being ignorant of TV and major motion pictures:
> http://www.pigdog.org/auto/mr_bads_list/shortcolumn/1226.html

	I think it was the commercials that were really at issue.  A
proper elitist would use some magic Tivo[TM]{R} or MythTV button (I
hear they done got Th' Linucks on teevee now) or just grab bittorrent
warez of the shows.

> *  Pre-NYC Onion articles are still admissible as evidence in
>    arguments about elitism.

	NYC was founded in the 18th century.  Me, I subscribed to the
paper edition in the 90s.  No, you may not touch me.

> ** elitist tip: get the names of TV shows wrong so it's _obvious_ you
>    never watch them!

	My favorite part of The Star Track was when Bilbo killed the
Cling-ons with his magic sword!

Extra Credit Question:  How exactly is "American Idol" different from
"Ed McMahon's Star Search", aside from the lack of Ed?

--

end