[linux-elitists] Collaborative !FUD (was Why are boring Randroids meta-news material?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 19 09:24:28 PDT 2003

on Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 08:52:43AM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> Suckdot said it best.  "Linux Possibly Defamed Somewhere"
> http://www.suck.com/daily/99/12/13/
>
> What makes Suckdot funny is that it does exactly what Linux
> meta-news sites do to anti-Linux articles -- whether or not
> those articles make any new points or convey any new information.
> Almost every new anti-Linux article in the mainstream IT media is
> just a paraphrase of the dumb arguments from "Some Easily Rebutted
> Objections to GNU's Goals" from Stallman's original GNU Manifesto.
>
> So why are Linux sites throwing their Google juice, and their
> readers' attention, at the same old BS every time it appears on a
> new site in a slightly different form?
>
> Responsible journalists have a responsibility to present opposing
> points of view.  I'm would never say that only agreeable,
> non-controversial, happytalk articles should show up on meta-news
> sites and other online fora.  But meta-news editors already hold
> the articles from our own side to a reasonably high standard of
> accuracy and novelty, and should start applying the same filter to
> articles from the side of evil.
>
> A separate "FUD Watch" site or track would be the place to put
> this kind of crap, for those people who want to turn banner ads
> off and go get into a flame war with an "intellectual property"
> fanatic on a web form.  But that isn't most people's idea of fun.

Me and DrooK ain't most people:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/FudFighters

    This is what it bills itself as -- a node from which to add topics
    regarding FUD. Note that this node itself isn't specific to any
    given OS. (Note further that a quarter-billion-dollar per year
    advertising budget, coupled with a merely passing acquaintance with
    the truth, may tend to lead to that impression.)

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ExamplesOfFUD

I find the collaborative, able-to-toss-an-article, able-to-cross-review
model works much better than other FUDbusting efforts (my own included)
run by individuals in the past.  Editors are such caltrops ;-)

Very popular with Microsoft, they troll it nearly daily.

Speaking of which, someone needs to get Sonia Arrison's knickers
untwisted.  There's nothing quite so pathetically adorable as a
Liberneocon insisting that Money != Government Influence, while writting
paid puff edvertorials for the robber-barron du jour.

Peace.

    First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I
    wasn't a Communist.  Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak
    up, because I wasn't a Jew.  Then they came for the Catholics, and I
    didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.  Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945