[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Wed Jun 18 19:05:09 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 04:49:39PM -0700, Wendell Cochran wrote:
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:44:09 -0700
> From: Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net>
>
> >> it's close to public transportaion, and some people utilize that.
>
> > . . .  "utilize" and "utilization" should be striken from the
> >language and replaced outright with "use" (pronounced according to
> >meaning).
>
> In long-ago efforts to help geologists & geophysicists achieve
> trenchant prose, I put it like this:  `Don't utilize utilize; use
> use.'
>
> No!  I did _not_ pinch the rule from SCO. . . .  Anyhow, this turnip
> lacks blood.

Google counts
"Gartner utilize"		17,100
"Forrester utilize"		 9,420

Did a stint at IDC, (Writing instead of coding), couldn't resist.

I think that simple, accessable writing is less favored by these
establishments in leu of, ahem, "More Academic"/"Impressive"
... um "verbiage".
--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org