[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Wed Jun 18 09:38:56 PDT 2003

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> While the etymology is incorrect, the usage not is valid.  Using
> $0.75 words where a $0.25 option is available, is poor economy,
> without affording the high-sheen patina that a suitable $5 word
> might convey.

I'd go a bit farther than that, and say that utilize has a slightly
different connotation than use.  Utilize is more appropriate when the
useful property is unexpected or counter-intuitive.  I.e., using
"utilize" suggests that the thing being used isn't normally useful, or
at least isn't useful in this particular way.  Note the definition you
gave:

> To make useful; to turn to a profitable account or use.

So using utilize in place of use isn't just tacky, it's incorrect.

Of course, good luck trying to use the word correctly; no one will
understand you.  They'll just think you're being pretentious.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>