[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 18 07:29:02 PDT 2003

on Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 11:44:09PM -0700, Nick Moffitt (nick@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Alan DuBoff  quotation:
> > One reason we hold it at Turmerik is that it's close to public
> > transportaion, and some people utilize that.
>
> 	"utility" is the noun form of an existing verb, "to use".

Incorrect.  It's a noun from old English, utilite, Latin, utilitas,
meaning "useful".

"Utilize" is derived from French, utiliser, meaning to use.  GCIDE gives
the definition:  To make useful; to turn to a profitable account or use.

> It doesn't need to be transformed BACK into a verb via some ridiculous
> means.  "utilize" and "utilization" should be striken from the
> language and replaced outright with "use" (pronounced according to
> meaning).

While the etymology is incorrect, the usage not is valid.  Using $0.75
words where a $0.25 option is available, is poor economy, without
affording the high-sheen patina that a suitable $5 word might convey.

Peace.

    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    -- Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337