[linux-elitists] Linux Consultants Lunch Thurs, June 19th

Willy willy@linuxgazette.com
Wed Jun 18 06:32:11 PDT 2003

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:00:03AM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:
>> On Tuesday 17 June 2003 23:44, Nick Moffitt spew'd:
>> > 	"utility" is the noun form of an existing verb, "to use".  It
>> > doesn't need to be transformed BACK into a verb via some ridiculous
>> > means.  "utilize" and "utilization" should be striken from the
>> > language and replaced outright with "use" (pronounced according to
>> > meaning).
>>
>> "who gives a f#@$" is American slang and what's really cool about it is
>> that
>> you can enahance it to "who gives a flying f#@$" where flying is
>> typically a
>> verb, but in this case it acts as a noun to f#@$. American slang can be
>> facinating.
>
> Actually, it's "fly" that's a verb (or sometimes a noun, but then it
> refers to insects, hit baseballs, or certain pieces of cloth);
> "flying" is an adjective.  In that sentence, "f#@$" is the object
> noun, and "flying" modifies it.
>
> I-swear-the-.sig-is-random-ly yours,
> -- Nathaniel

All of this brings up another point - - why is "fuck" such a bad word in
the US? Here in Latin America, and in many other parts of the world,
fucking is considered to be a good thing. If I lived in the US, I'd be
more inclined to say something like "Who gives a flying lawyer?", which
casts a pleasant mental image for both the speaker and the listener; or
even better, "Who gives a flying Sontag?", which does the same with a
savory embedded ad hominem.

Willy