[linux-elitists] The breadth of SCO's claims

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 17 15:07:17 PDT 2003

Quoting Willy (willy@linuxgazette.com):

> I'm trying really hard to not get my paranoia bit set today. But, the
> three problems I have with this whole mess are:
>
> 1) The amount of the suit, while enough to feed a passle of geeks like me
> through multiple reincarnations, is getting big enough that it could feed
> several firmfuls of poor hungry lawyers for several years, and even the US
> government for perhaps many hours. As the stakes get higher, the
> interested predators get larger.

Attorneys, being (in general) not fools, tend not to judge a lawsuit's
potential for remuneration by how grandiose the plaintiff's demands are.

> 2) As pointed out in the above post, the breadth of SCO's claims is
> immense and could have long-term effects in developed countries over the
> future of Linux and IP laws.

Glendower:  I can call spirits from the vasty deep!
Hotspur:  Why, so can I, or so can any man.  But will they come when you
          do call for them?

(I should note that, occasional efforts to the contrary notwithstanding,
USA jurisdiction is not global.)

> 3) Now that SCO is calling on Caesar by accusing IBM of exporting to
> enemies of the United States, there could be intervention on a much larger
> scale.

The only USA export regulations applied to software, to date, have
concerned strong encryption software.  All strong encryption software
used in the Linux kernel is developed and maintained offshore.

--
Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."